A blog dedicated to the great art of "sitting in"

There is absolutely nothing more fun for a working musician than a night where everything is going right onstage and all the the years and hours of hard work and frustration are paying off with each unique, epiphanal moment. The audience and the band is breathing as one, bouncing unspoken energy and inspiration back and forth between them. The band members who know each other better than most married couples have dropped all of their inner bitching and personal campaigns against each other's little personality quirks and as the Grateful Dead say, "the music plays the band."

Everyone in the place is getting off. The bar owner is hearing the cash register ring. The folks on the dance floor want to have your children, or at least each others. Even the wait staff are smiling because people are tipping like slot machines grinning all cherries.

You sit in the crowd thinking nothing could be better than this very moment...this is the best music you have ever heard...life is great...unless, of COURSE, YOU could be up there contributing your immense musical talents to the fray. They NEED you to frost this transcendent cake.

Unable to control yourself, you down the last of four shots on the table in front of you, kiss your passed out tablemate on the sweaty forehead and leap to the bandstand to yell at the lead singer whose eyes pop open in the middle of the penultimate moment of his rock career, where years of emotion, stage fright, training, lessons, financial and personal ruin are being swept away in his radiant moment of connection with the cosmic musical gods of the low-paying gig and you scream, "LET ME SING 'BROWN-EYED GIRL' MAN!!! THE CROWD WILL LOVE IT!!!"

Okay, so this actually happened. More than once.

This is why we are here. To teach. To lecture. To warn. To threaten. And also to give praise to the great sitter-inners of today and days gone by.

Musicians who entertain you for a living, whether meager or substantial, know of what we speak. They have suffered the slings and arrows of usurpers, glory hogs, pitchy drunken buzz killers. They have also lived magnificent moments of spontaneous kismet when for a brief spell someone unplanned upped the ante on the musical proceeding and gave them a memory to cherish.

Please chime in with your own experiences.

And for those about to rock, GYOFB!!!!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

KARAOKE DOKIE

I have never met a professional musician who admits to having done karaoke. They all say, "This sucks."

Generally meaning, "I know I'm better than these amateurs who are so out of key and out of time and get the words given to them with an indicator of exactly when to sing..." when they really mean, "There's no way I'm gonna risk my musical cred up there where the possibility of making a fool of myself is high because a) there is no rehearsal b) I don't know if it will be in my key, (some programs can adjust keys, some can't...just like some musicians, I might add) c) the arrangement is not the one I'm used to d) the arrangements are 'wrong' e) the words on the screen confuse me, I won't be able to emote f) how can I communicate with the audience when I'm/they are reading words on a screen g) "I spent years getting good at this, why should I suck now for no pay. h) if someone hears me suck here that won't come see my band thinking I will suck there."

Now, I admit, I have done karaoke once before. But I was in the middle of the desert in a small town with only 12 dusty strangers in a bar, four of whom KNOW I'm a REAL musician who can sing in key, keep time, even write the occasional tune. My rep wasn't at stake. I'd never see the other folks again. And...I was drunk.

But, since I and others of my musical ilk have a tendency to not appreciate the FUN that lay people have getting up and making fools of themselves in front of others, I decided to try it one more time.

Actually, even that is not exactly the way it went down.

I have long lived by a set of rules, or at least since I became single six years ago. The meat of which reads something like this:

I have a set of guidelines as a single man in a complex dating world. I try to refrain from dating a) Republicans (more vehemently Tea Partiers) but Independents and Republicans who don't watch Fox all day are possibilities. Just sayin'. b) Red Sox fans (no wiggle room here...got that Wilcox?) or c) Karaoke djs (they get paid to listen to and perpetuate horrid music all night long at venues that might otherwise hire live bands, while proficient musicians sit home rehearsing).

But after some investigation as to the quantity of available single women in the particular rural mountain community in which I find myself living a fairly lonesome existence I have recently found myself quite drawn to a sexy, available brunette who just HAPPENS to be a karaoke dj. Now, I don't fault her for this and I'm not just giving her a hall pass because she is cute. My main problem with karaoke is that, as mentioned above, it takes jobs from musicians. In an economic and geographical environment where paying gigs are few and far between for even the best musicians (who would take the same money paid out to said karaoke-ists), I am frustrated. No one makes me go listen to people sing badly, I just wish I had a chance to set up my gear and get paid for playing in the same joints. Oh, and there is the fact that people nowadays seem less concerned whether their entertainment sucks or not but we've spoken about that in the first post here at length. Thank you karaoke, American Idol, reality TV, home recording and the collapse of the music industry.

I have rationalized an exemption to my silly rules because she is not only really good at what she does, she sings well and people have FUN when she is in charge. She works at keeping the crap buffered by the decent, keeping people smiling with her witty repartee and teasing, cynical smile. She knows how to dress for success. Yow. But also because she hires, i.e. pays, a couple of musicians to play their instruments along with the pre-recorded karaoke tracks in real time. So she's employing my comrades. And okay, she likes me, she's cute and spunky and I like it.

But why bring all this up here? Well, because I have oddly succumbed to her advances in my couple of attempts to catch her eye with my stunning karaoke prowess. Okay, for 8 of 10 songs that I attempted over two to three nights I was King Karaoke for the evening...not hard to do since I was the only professional singer within two miles of the joint...but in two of those songs I experienced my personal version of hell. But more on that later.

Even worse, while I mesmerized and thrilled the gathered hoards, I had my self-satisfied ass handed to my by the lack of structure, rules, respect, quality control onstage that I have tried to instill/reflect as previously posted in THE ETIQUETTE OF SITTIN' IN. I had avoided the dreaded "Duet Syndrome" as long as I could and finally broke down and sang a couple of forced duets with a passable if somewhat constantly flat singing "harmonist" as she calls herself (who happened to be the bar owners girlfriend and one must sometimes take a bullet when trying to secure a future gig). Her timing is pretty good, she can hold that particular crowd with her looks and presentation and song choices, but alas she sings flat. Consistently. So I powered through that a couple of times and there were actually smatterings of nice musical moments. But then, the concept of "Flash mob choir" rose up like The Creature From The Black Saloon and we were joined by a seemingly endless stream of foaming wanna-be Eagles, leaping onto the tiny stage grabbing at the two extra mics from which the ensuing feedback could only be described as a blessing compared to the caterwauling fingernail on the blackboard harmonies of the cacophonous banshees...I understand that this IS tradition, this IS fun for these kind, well meaning, DUI poster children. I can't imagine that etiquette is even in the ball park.

Somehow, I feel dirty. Have I sold myself to the devil? When Robert Johnson was down at the crossroads did the devil ask to sing a duet on "The Boxer"? Maybe an Ozzy tune. Will I go back? Will I sing again? Most likely, if I must. She's cute but I am definitely NOT asking her politics or if she's from Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment